All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: Expect the Unexepected

Friday, May 3, 2013

Expect the Unexepected

Last night I was in the Emergency Room while a cherished family member was being treated.  It was an unwelcome and unexpected event.  Fortunately, treatment was rendered and the evening ended well.
 
I had a long time to think about today's blog while I tried not to give into fear in the hospital.  I thought about the twists and turns in my life that brought me to this point.  I thought about all the changes that I have seen in my own life and in life for the rest of the world.  The unexpected has been standard operating procedure.
 
I graduated from law school years ago and never thought that seventeen years later I would be tired of being a trial lawyer and would want to do something else.  I never thought that a continuing education drawing class taken for stress relief would open an obsessive path into the art world.  I never thought I would manage an art gallery for five years learning the business of buying and selling art.  I never thought that I would be a financial advisor when the calendar showed 2008.  And I certainly never thought that the Internet would help sustain me as a full time artist today.

But as I reflect on these events it becomes apparent that each one (good or bad) helped ready me for the next change.  Law practice taught me discipline and that there are two sides to everything.  Running an art galley taught me that art is sold and does not automatically sell itself.  Being a financial advisor gave me business and money sense needed to make a living.  The Internet allowed me to expand my customer base to the world. 
 
I kept painting through every change and crisis year after year for the past two decades even when it was hard and even when I didn't like my own paintings very much and felt as though I didn't know what I was doing.  Eventually, I found my way.  That's the most surprising part.  Or maybe it isn't....
 
I hope each and every one of you will find your own strength with each unexpected event to meet the next challenge.

Mona Vivar, "Oysters Galore", 9 inches by 12 inches, acrylic on canvas
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Image copyright of Mona Vivar 2013.

No comments :

Post a Comment