All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: Simplify Your Acrylic Color Selection

Friday, July 25, 2014

Simplify Your Acrylic Color Selection

I am all about time management and simplification especially when it comes to producing art.  If you are like me you want to spend more time painting and less time (and money) buying supplies.  Walk into any art supply store or browse any art supply website and you will be overwhelmed by the color selections available with each acrylic paint brand.  What colors do you REALLY need to make a painting? 
 
I have spent a lot of time doing trial and error work to narrow down my color selection.  I do both impressionistic and abstract paintings, and here is the palette that works for virtually any painting in those styles.
 
 
 
 
 
Starting on the left top corner and going right and then down these are my colors:
 
Titanium White
Cadmium Yellow (medium)
Yellow Ochre (sometimes called Yellow Oxide by various companies)
Cadmium Red (light)
Naphthol Crimson/Red
Alizarin Crimson
Magenta (or Permanent Rose)
Ultramarine Blue
Phthalo Blue
Cerulean Blue
Cobalt Blue  (this one is optional but I really like the color)
Phthalo Green (or Viridian Green)
Burnt Umber
Black (Mars Black or Ivory Black will work)
 
These acrylic colors work well for me.  I keep them in the same order on the palette because it trains my hand to automatically dip the brush in the right color without looking.  A real no brainer!  As you can see from the mixes in the middle of my palette everything looks harmonious.  Maybe you can try them for yourself and make those paint purchases easier on the wallet and less time consuming.
 
Well it's back to the easel with me and my latest New Orleans scene.....
 
 
 

 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment