All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: Painting the Essence of a Dragonfly

Friday, July 11, 2014

Painting the Essence of a Dragonfly

The other day I was on my patio admiring the few container plants that have survived the first half of summer when a beautiful blue dragonfly perched on the succulents and sat still long enough for me to get a snapshot of him.   I also took a photo of my fiery red salvia blooms.  Yet another example of painting subjects readily available in my own backyard!
 
Here is the step by step process I used to combine my subjects in an acrylic painting.


My easel with the printed photos for reference.  I use blue house painter's tape to keep my canvas from sticking to the easel.  Also helps with clean up.
 

Convenient set up with easel, palette, water and a chair if I need to sit rather than stand while painting.


I use my handy foam brush for a quick gestural block in of the star of the painting.  The canvas is already toned with yellow ochre.
 
 
I continue to use the foam brush for broad slapping on of paint for the succulents.
 
 

The palette colors mimic what I have on the canvas.  I don't thin my paints with anything.  This allows me to make juicy strokes on the canvas.  I keep the foam barely damp with water.
 
 

Here I use a large nylon brush to place smaller details on the dragonfly.
 
 

I go back to the foam brush and add the dark foreground for the blooming salvia.  Up until this point I have been painting wet in wet paint.  The greens will dull the red blooms so I wait until the paint dries before continuing with the blooms. 
 
 
 
I add the red blooms.




I add lighter leaves on the salvia and multiple stokes of various cheerful colors around the canvas.
I use dull yellow on the background and allow some of the darker toned canvas to peek through.  I also put a few strokes of red on the dragonfly for more unity with the red blooms.
 


I sign and Summer Visitor (acrylic on canvas, 11 inches by 14 inches) is finished!
Now listed on Etsy at Mona Vivar Fine Art
 
 
All images copyright Mona Vivar 2014.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment