All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: The Power of Small Paintings

Friday, October 18, 2013

The Power of Small Paintings

At the start of my painting career in the 1990's I mostly painted big (measured in feet not inches) abstract paintings.  I enjoyed the freedom of a large canvas back then, but big always came with the challenge of storage, transportation and studio space.  There was also the challenge of finding buyers who had the space to hang such pieces and the means to buy them.
 
But things changed.  I became interested with realism in all it many forms and liked the plein air movement with it's smaller format.  Soon I was painting impressionistic small and medium works.  I continue to follow that path.  I find it physically less demanding and certainly more convenient.  My work has a fresher, more spontaneous look too. 
 
Lately, I have tried my hand at miniature paintings.  Officially, the name of a painting that is 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches is "Art Card Edition and Original" or "ACEO".   The art world phenomenon of ACEOs started in 1996 in Switzerland as Artist Trading Cards.  Now people buy and sell such art regularly.   
 
Small paintings are easy to transport, mail, display and enjoy.  They go anywhere.   A small painting done well can open the door to the imagination the same as a painting of any other size.  That's a lot of power in a tiny package!
 
 
Copyright Mona Vivar, Ibis Wade, ACEO 2.5"x3.5", acrylic on paper
 
 
Copyright Mona Vivar, Sweet Nectar, ACEO 3.5"x2.5", acrylic on paper
 
 
 
Copyright Mona Vivar, Van Gogh's Field, ACEO, 2.5"x3.5", acrylic on paper
 
 


No comments :

Post a Comment