All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: The Business of Art

Friday, June 28, 2013

The Business of Art

It has been six months since I started working full time as an artist.  I sold my art in brick and mortar galleries and on the Internet in the past, but this is the first time I have worked selling my art for a living.  So what I have I learned in six months?
 
PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION, PRODUCTION:  You have to make a LOT, and I mean a LOT of art.  Reason being is that you will make some art that you will need to toss.  You will have days that you have to do other things, and the extra inventory will help keep you in front of your customers.  Demand will rise and you will need to be able to provide a supply of art for it.  You become a better artist by making more art.
 
 
STANDARDIZE YOUR OPERATIONS:  Big businesses do this all the time.  If you want to be a business you need to do it too.  Using the same tools, materials, procedures help you make and sell your art.  I order canvas in bulk (saves a lot on the cost) and put the same base coat color on the canvases as soon as they arrive.  Or more correctly, my husband puts the base coat on.  This operation gives me at least a month's supply of canvases ready to go and prevents all sorts of delays due to prep time.  I use standard size canvases.  This makes it easier for my customers to frame the paintings later.  I use the same palette of colors so I don't flounder around wondering what color to use next.  All this saves time and effort.  I work in sets or series.  Why only paint one piece at a time when you can do two or more?  It will make you more efficient.
 
Mona Vivar, "Sea Treasures", 11 inches by 14 inches, acrylic on canvas
 
 
Mona Vivar, "Sea Treasures II", 11 inches by 14 inches, acrylic on canvas
 
FIND YOUR NICHE:   You won't be able to make art that everyone likes or wants, so figure out what you do best and who likes it.  This part takes time and makes the first two steps even more important.   You will have a lot of misfires at first but after a while you will hit your stride.  You will notice that certain images sell quickly while others just sit.  You will begin to see some common denominators among your customers.  Maybe they live in the same geographic region, maybe they tend to work in the same occupation, maybe they are younger or older.   Notice everything.  Don't make yourself crazy, but be aware so you can aim your best work at your market.
 
BE FLEXIBLE AND KEEP YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR:  What can I say?  Good luck.

No comments :

Post a Comment