All about the inspiration behind the art. Acrylic Paintings, Impressionism, Art, Southern, Modern, Contemporary, Coastal, Flowers, Famous Places, New Orleans, Florida, Gulf Coast, Food, Expressionism, Fauve, Cityscapes, Architecture, Decor, Painting, Beach, Tropical, Seascape, Landscape, Still Life Mona Vivar Fine Art: Painting From a Photograph

Friday, June 20, 2014

Painting From a Photograph

A few weeks ago my husband and I were driving around enjoying a beautiful afternoon along the Alabama-Florida border when we pulled off the road to look at the newly constructed boat ramp in the community of Lillian, Alabama.  The boat launch is on Perdido Bay.  I never waste an opportunity to snap some reference photos for future paintings, so I took several.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I was struck by the blueness of the clear, breezy day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The pine trees and the frothy water sparkling the sunlight made me wish I had brought an easel and paints!
 
 
 
 
 
 
I especially liked this particular angle.  The shadows and light were wonderful.  Now if only I could catch it on a canvas. 
 
 
I ultimately did get my impression of that beautiful day on a canvas.  I regret not documenting my step-by-step painting process, but here is the final version.   As you can see, I ramped up the colors, especially of the sand and water.  I emphasized the purple, blue and green in the water and added zing with the red, orange and yellow of sand.  I also lightened the pine tree trunks because the darks of a photograph are always darker than the real live actual shadows.   The painted scene has most, but not all of the detail of the photograph because I am an impressionist painter who can create my impression of a perfect day. 
 
 
 
Copyright Mona Vivar, Wind in the Pines, 11 inches by 14 inches, acrylic on canvas
Now on Etsy at Mona Vivar Fine Art
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment